Communications Officer, The Travel Foundation
Function: Communications Officer
Role categories: PR and Communications, Social Media, Planning/Strategy, Marketing
- Rate/Salary: £25k per annum pro rata
- Location: Bristol
- Type: permanent
- Starting date: 06/04/2017
- Expires: 30/04/2017
If we do tourism right, destinations won't just survive, they'll thrive. Anyone who is involved in tourism can be part of this.
We believe that tourism can and should shape a better future for destinations. Done well, it can bring new jobs and livelihoods for local people; as well as resources for the conservation of cultural heritage and the natural environment.
We are a charity that works in partnership with leading tourism organisations in popular holiday destinations around the world. We design and deliver sustainable tourism initiatives and research programmes to enable businesses, governments and communities to maximise the benefits and minimise the negative impacts of tourism.
Join our team
Set up in 2003, our headquarters is at the CREATE Centre in Bristol and we employ 16 staff in the UK, and have a team of project coordinators in destinations.
Job Title: Communications Officer (part time job share 0.6 FTE)
Responsible to: Head of Communications (HoC)
Overview: Supporting the HoC to develop and deliver an effective communications strategy that will enhance the profile and reputation of the organisation, support its funding/partnership activities and encourage changes in tourism practices
As part of a small but dynamic communications team, you will lead on delivery and promotion of TF communications content and online platforms, with support from the HoC.
Main duties and responsibilities
Creating and managing content:
- Ensuring a steady supply of compelling stories and supporting content is available for our use and that of our partners.
- Writing press releases and dealing with media requests.
- Being a guardian of the TF brand and ensuring high standards of communications are maintained at all times.
Planning and project management:
- Project managing key areas of the communications workplan, briefing/managing external suppliers and ensuring milestones are met and exceptional value for money is secured within agreed budgets.
- Capturing and reporting information which can be used for evaluations.
- Managing relationships with partners who communicate our work.
Managing our online/digital channels:
- Effectively communicating our work through our websites, newsletters and other channels, ensuring up-to-date information and consistency in design and copy.
- Leading on developing a digital and social media strategy as part of the overall communications strategy, with support from HoC.
- Maintaining a conversation with our audiences on social media.
- Using a customer relationship management (CRM) database for direct marketing.
Campaigns and events
- Support the delivery of specific initiatives as set by the HoC.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of working in the communications field, with a strong focus on writing and managing online media content (e.g. blogs), handling media enquiries and writing press releases.
- Excellent writing skills, clear understanding of effective communications, as well as accurate spelling and grammar.
- Strong experience of maintaining websites (using a CMS), blogs and other online media.
- Ability to produce high quality work and ensure attention to detail at all times.
- Computer literate and familiar with a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office.
- Highly motivated, well-organised, and able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritise and work with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainable tourism issues or the tourism industry
- Basic design skills (e.g. using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
Please send us your CV with a 300 word (max) covering letter, highlighting your experience and skills relevant to this vacancy and why a part-time job-share role suits you. Please also provide an example of content you have written for an external audience (e.g. newsletter, web page, press release, leaflet or similar).
To Cynthia Shaw: email@example.com with the subject "Communications Officer (job-share)". Closing date: Sunday 30th April. Candidates will be informed by Monday 8th May if they have been selected for interview. Interviews will take place on Thursday 18th May in Bristol.
Please see our website for all current live vacancies: http://www.thetravelfoundation.org.uk/about-us/recruitment/
Terms and Conditions of employment Salary: £25,000 per annum pro rata plus matched contributions to a pension of up to 6% of salary. Hours of Work: Part-time, 3 days a week, Monday to Wednesday (0.6 Full Time Equivalent) at our office in Bristol, with some requirements for travel in the UK and possible occasional overseas travel. Annual Leave: 25 working days per annum pro rata, plus public holidays pro rata. Probationary period: 6 months
Contract type: permanent contract, job-share.
Terms and Conditions of employment
Salary: £25,000 per annum pro rata plus matched contributions to a pension of up to 6% of salary.
Hours of Work: Part-time, 3 days a week, Monday to Wednesday (0.6 Full Time Equivalent) at our office in Bristol, with some requirements for travel in the UK and possible occasional overseas travel.
Annual Leave: 25 working days per annum pro rata, plus public holidays pro rata.
Probationary period: 6 months